The famous brickyard in Ostrowiec was actually established in 1896 by Tomasz Głowacki which for many years prospered in the city and together with the Władysław Klepacki refractory factory, gave rise to Ostrowieckie Zakłady Materiałów Ogniotalnych. (Today the modern company can be seen here. ) Pictures of the old buildings can be seen here. The Głowacki factory was on Kilińskiego Street on the corner of Cegielniana Street.
During World War II, the German occupiers renamed the factory Jaeger Works/Brickyard. At that time, about 200 Jews, mostly women, worked in this factory. (Some people hid at the factory, including Rubin Katz and Paula Lebovics.) The slave laborers were involved in digging clay from the ponds nearby.