To remember and honor the legacy of the once vibrant Jewish community of Ostrowiec by researching, gathering and sharing information about the town’s history with survivors, their descendants and present-day residents.
The “Jews of Ostrowiec” memorial website is a project that was started in 2017 as a tribute to the Jewish community of Ostrowiec Świętokrzyski.
There are two Yizkor books, published long ago in 1949 and 1971 mainly in Yiddish and Hebrew, that tell the stories and tragic events of the town. Since then, no major work has been done to translate into the articles into the English language and publicize the important memoirs of the members and survivors of the town.
It is our hope that this project will:
- Honor the legacy of the once vibrant Jewish community of Ostrowiec.
- Paint a detailed picture of the town before, during and after the Holocaust.
- Document the memoirs not yet published of the survivors, and the stories of the victims who perished during the Holocaust.
This will be done by the following activities:
- Translate most of the 1970 Yizkor book into English, with the assistance of Jewish Gen, and make the articles available in an easy-to-read fashion, accessible over the internet.
- Gather memoirs from town residents and their descendants, survivors and other sources and publicize them on the Jews of Ostrowiec website.